Lighting Pilots on Appliances and Appliance Safety
· We strongly recommend that you do not attempt to relight your appliances yourself. However, if you choose to assume the risk of relighting your pilots yourself, you must follow the appliance manufacturer recommendations and instructions.
· Notify your propane supplier immediately if you have a problem lighting a pilot.
· Never attempt to modify or repair the gas control valves or any other component of a gas appliance.
· Never light a pilot if you smell gas.
· If you continue to smell gas, even after lighting a pilot, turn off the gas valve immediately upstream of the appliance to stop the flow of gas. Contact your propane supplier immediately to investigate the situation.
· Propane burns with a blue flame in properly operating and converted appliances. If your appliances do not have a blue flame, if you see a yellow flame or if you find soot build up, you must contact your propane supplier.
· All appliances should be installed and converted by a licensed trained technician. If they are not, then it could cause many problems with the operation of your appliance.
· If there is an improper ventilation of an appliance then this could create a situation that could produce carbon monoxide gas, which is toxic and deadly.
· Carbon Monoxide (CO) is colorless, odorless, and a hazardous gas. It is a natural by-product of combustion burning hydrocarbon fuels like natural gas and propane gas. Any gas burning appliance or equipment produces CO naturally. Properly adjusted appliances and equipment reduce the amount of CO produced. Proper ventilation carries the unsafe levels of CO the atmosphere where it naturally dilutes. To ensure your safety, have your appliances and venting checked regularly by a qualified technician. CO detectors are available at most hardware stores.